Thursday, December 04, 2014

Mark Morford Is As Arrogantly (and Ignorantly) Condescending A Lefty Douchebag As You Will Find

This is the most ignorantly condescending arrogant blather you will read today or perhaps any day...
So. Want to try and unpack this creepy factoid? Break it down a little? It’s not difficult:
You’re a scared white person, almost certainly male. You do not live in a major city, or near a university or intellectual hub of any note, nor have you ever traveled very far from your home town, much less out of state or anywhere further than, say, Mexico. Once. And that was enough.
You do not read complicated books. You do not like new or weird things. You watch lots of TV, mostly Fox News, which rejoices in showing you endless images of angry foreigners and minorities in pain: tear gas explosions, fights in the streets, looting, this time involving sad, small-town black people in Ferguson, all of them protesting the acquittal of that murderous white cop....
The matrix is simple enough: The more scared you are, the more isolated, the less educated and the less traveled and the less exposed to unfamiliar ideas, to different modes of life, to the Other, to the staggering and effervescent variety of human existence, the more you will see a gun as an obvious and necessary choice. 
Incidentally, I will school Mark Morford any day on history, ideas, books, 'well-traveled-ness', 'educated-ness', whatever.  I bet you he is the biggest phony intellectual going and I could run rings around him in any debate other than in, say, feminist perspectives on aboriginal yoga in pre-colonial Congo.

But anyway, let's break it down Mark.  I am male, got to give you that. White too, and I feel no shame over the lack of any pigment in my skin.  I've lived and worked in and around the country's largest city all my life.  I've attended two separate Ivy League universities (Mark's not telling what his education credentials are).  I can spit to two colleges from my house.  I've travelled to 25 foreign countries.  I don't watch any TV.  I read everyday, I especially like "complicated" books about history, economics and philosophy.  I like to think I have been significantly "exposed to unfamiliar ideas, to different modes of life, to the Other, to the staggering and effervescent variety of human existence" (although, I wouldn't actually express it that way).

So, did I buy a gun on Black Friday?  Nope.  My gun safe is already too full.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home